- subject indexing
- electronic publishing
- retrieval methods for electronic information
- controlled vocabularies, subjects and authorities
Master's degree: University of Illinois, Champaign-Urbana, IL. Graduate School of Library and Information Science. M.S., Aug. 2003.
U.S. Department of Agriculture Graduate School, Basic Indexing course. Completed Nov. 2002.
Bachelor's degree: Indiana University, Bloomington, IN. 1989-1992. B.A., English, Dec. 1992. Minor: Mathematics.
EBSCO Publishing, Inc., Ipswich, MA.
- Bibliographic Database Designer, Apr. 2012 - present.
Cengage Learning, formerly known as The Gale Group, Thomson Learning, Belmont, CA.
Manager, Metadata Automation and Management, Mar. 2006- Apr. 2012. Manage team of six machine-aided indexing analysts and two database analysts. Develop and implement machine-indexing techniques on periodical, reference, and textbook content. Assess machine indexing tools in the industry and serve as a center of excellence for Cengage Learning. Participate in teams designing Cengage products, trying to optimize use of indexing. Provide database reporting and loading services for production system.
Senior Machine-Aided Indexing Analyst, May 2005-Mar. 2006.
Self-employed indexer and vocabulary editor, Jan. 2003 - May 2005. Traditional back-of-book indexes as well as electronic database indexing. Indexing projects list.
Sousa Archives for Band Research, University of Illinois, Champaign, IL. Aug. 2002 - Aug. 2003. Graduate assistant.
Information Access Company, Foster City, CA, later The Gale Group, 1993-2002. Relocated to Farmington Hills, MI, June 1999.
- Indexing Manager, Editorial Standards Department, June 2000 - July 2002. Management of a team of four indexers who work in two types of indexing: back-of-book print indexing and electronic indexing for online reference products using the Gale controlled vocabularies. Unusual indexing projects as needed, often managing free-lance indexers. Participation in online product design teams. Classification projects as needed. Participation in vocabulary and indexing system development team. Development of company-wide indexing standards. Outreach and instruction to Gale editorial teams about indexing and vocabulary. Input into all Gale controlled vocabularies: topical terms and name authorities.
- Indexing Specialist, Editorial Standards Department, May 1999 - June 2000. Index reference materials for presentation in online products, using Gale controlled vocabularies. Design and manage similar projects with free-lance indexers. Vocabulary research as part of large vocabulary re-engineering project. Classification projects as needed, usually classification of persons for biography-focused products.
- Vocabulary Specialist and Editor, CPD Group/Vocabulary Management Group/Editorial Standards Department. Dec. 1994 - May 1999. Maintain computer-related vocabulary, including a controlled vocabulary of around 1,000 subject terms, and a vocabulary of over 100,000 computer product names. Act as vocabulary liaison to editorial team. Document vocabulary usage and style issues. Act as user representative in the design of Roadmap, a vocabulary management system. Create user documentation. Participate in official testing and troubleshooting. Design and lead user training sessions.
- Abstractor/Indexer/Editor, Computer Publications Database Group, Aug. 1994 - Dec. 1994.
- Abstractor/Indexer, Computer Publications Database Group, Aug. 1993 - Aug. 1994.
Excellent experience: CINDEX indexing software. Web searching and Gale online database searching. Microsoft Outlook, Access, Excel, Word.
Some experience: XML DTDs and markup, HTML and Web design, online reference databases, SQL, Microsoft PowerPoint.
Member, American Society of Indexers, American Library Association.
I do read music and am an experienced pianist.